Forum Archive

Forum

Pico: Hate hate hate the piano mute function!

written by: geert

Hi Sam,

This is great! The sampler now again behaves as it did in the first releases and the piano feels totally natural to me. I'm curious, why are the sampler instruments fully damped by default? I have the impression that this is not in line with what most people would expect from their setups. Maybe this behavior should be reversed and make it undamped by default.

Take care,

Geert

written by: gazgoldstar

Mon, 18 Jan 2010 20:03:45 +0000 GMT

Sorry for extreme topic title but I nearly flung the Pico across the room due to this new "performance" feature of being able to mute sustaining notes by pressing them lightly. I keep doing this inadvertently and consequently have notes cutting off abruptly in an unnatural and irritating manner. Is anyone else finding this to be annoying? Maybe its just me but I don't think that it brings a new element into the performance but rather it takes some away by meaning you have to watch out you don't accidentally mute notes. This is one of many issues I am having with the lack of configuration options. I know that they say that the work bench will give us a chance to configure it to our liking but all the same this function seems like a real back wards step. Would anyone mind if they removed this function?

Mon, 18 Jan 2010 23:03:30 +0000 GMT

Actually, it's not a feature, it's a bug afaik :-)

I've reported it several times and Eigenlabs is looking into it, last time I mentioned it though they weren't certain how to exactly solve it. This is not regarding the technical aspect, but what behavior should be manifested. I suggest to just let the natural decay of the previous note continue. Make sure to send a bug report about this using the built-in bug report. This allows them to track the importance of this.

Take care,

Geert

written by: barnone

Tue, 19 Jan 2010 02:41:40 +0000 GMT

You could argue it's not a bug...I mean, you did hit the key.

Although certainly, there could be a configurable threshold.

Tue, 19 Jan 2010 06:16:55 +0000 GMT

@barnone, actually it's not at those times that it's the most noticeable for me. It's when I play chords in a rhythmical patterns and the one chord is not as loud as the previous one, with the same notes. The previous one is then cut off artificially with very unpleasant sound. This shouldn't happen, they should decay in a natural fashion, not be cut off.

written by: barnone

Tue, 19 Jan 2010 15:28:19 +0000 GMT

gotcha

written by: sam

Thu, 21 Jan 2010 14:20:33 +0000 GMT

Hi all,

In the next unstable software release (1.1.0-unstable6) which will be released shortly, there will be scripts available to configure this behaviour (including switching it off).

Sam
Eigenlabs Software Department

written by: gazgoldstar

Thu, 21 Jan 2010 20:20:20 +0000 GMT

aah good news, thanks Sam. Will this release also allow scripts to do other configurable aspects?

written by: sam

Fri, 22 Jan 2010 18:03:32 +0000 GMT

Hi all,

The latest unstable release - 1.1.0-unstable6 - allows you to turn this sampler damping behaviour on and off, using the scripts in the 'Sampler Release' folder within the Factory scripts folder. Please read the Release Notes for more information.

Let us know if you have any queries.

Sam
Eigenlabs Software Department

Mon, 25 Jan 2010 07:23:03 +0000 GMT

Hi Sam,

This is great! The sampler now again behaves as it did in the first releases and the piano feels totally natural to me. I'm curious, why are the sampler instruments fully damped by default? I have the impression that this is not in line with what most people would expect from their setups. Maybe this behavior should be reversed and make it undamped by default.

Take care,

Geert

written by: steveelbows

Mon, 25 Jan 2010 12:34:08 +0000 GMT

I wonder if they added damping to work around issues with the sampler instrument getting overloaded if you hit too many notes. A bit of a fudge if so.

Still I have to say I really like the damping when used with certain soundfonts, I can get some interesting modulation going on by 'bouncing' keys.

Please log in to join the discussions