Forum Archive

Forum

General Discussion: New Instrument Coming?

Most Recent

written by: Foveus

By the way ... in the videos what are the musicians wrapping the instrument cord around?

written by: geert

Fri, 15 Jan 2010 07:06:54 +0000 GMT

Yeah, I'm much more interested in the Alpha than in the Tau. Don't really like the design of the Tau to be honest.

Fri, 15 Jan 2010 07:18:30 +0000 GMT

Picture of the black Tau at the end here:
http://eigenzone.org/2010/01/15/eigenharp-g4tv-music-playtime/

written by: Tones2

Fri, 15 Jan 2010 12:51:59 +0000 GMT

The Tau looks like EXACTLY what I want. Too bad the video got cut off before they finished showing it. I was hoping they'd mention when it would be available.

Tony

Fri, 15 Jan 2010 12:55:18 +0000 GMT

I added some information I found elsewhere, availability seems to be May 10th 2010

written by: aaronw

Fri, 15 Jan 2010 12:56:34 +0000 GMT

Hi all

Yes the Eigenharp Tau is here!

The Eigenharp Tau is the newest addition to the Eigenharp portfolio, filling the gap between the ultra-portable Pico and the professional level Alpha. Around the size of an electric guitar, ideal for gigging. At less than half the price of the Eigenharp Alpha, the Tau brings the enormous expressive potential of the Eigenharp to within the reach of any musician. The Tau has a minimalist contemporary aesthetic, available in black and silver finishes.

With 72 playing keys, a strip controller and breath pipe it can do almost everything that its big brother, the professional level Eigenharp Alpha, can do - it uses exactly the same software system. Its keys are amazingly sensitive, to within a micron, the wavelength of light. Like the Alpha, it plays a limitless range of sounds.

Key Performance Features

• 72 highly expressive keys on the main keyboard.
• 8 Mode Switches
• Each key uses a unique sensor technology detecting movement in all directions to
within a micron - the wavelength of light, the width of a living cell.
• 12 additional larger keys, just as sensitive but designed to be hit harder, suitable for
percussion.
• One strip controller, often used for pitch, effects or filter control.
• A breath pipe for playing wind instrument models, or to add emphasis to notes, effects
or filters.
• Powerful headphone output for monitoring, live auditioning and rehearsal.
• Plays an unlimited range of sounds.
• Supports a wide variety of software instruments including its own native instruments,
Soundfonts, samples, AU’s, Apple Loops and midi instruments.
• Stage portable - the performer can move freely while playing, within a 24m radius of
the base station.
• Can be played seated using a floor spike, or standing using a strap.
• Comes complete with a soft case.
• Comes in an anodised black or silver finish.

The Eigenharp Tau retails at £1899 inc VAT and shipping starts 10 May 2010.

Regards

Aaron
Customer Services

Fri, 15 Jan 2010 13:19:21 +0000 GMT

I agree, I am glad I have an Alpha as the wood finish is more elegant and really feels like a fine musical instrument. However, from a playing perspective the Tau seems like it would be almost identical to the Alpha (albeit with half the keys). Does a wood finish and 50 extra keys warrant a doubling in price ($3000) ... I guess it does .. unless I am missing something.

Fri, 15 Jan 2010 13:24:38 +0000 GMT

@Foveus, to me there are several very important differences, which still make me aim for an Alpha instead:
* the Alpha's fingerboard is curved, which feels very natural when pressing down horizontally with your fingers
* the Alpha has a microphone preamp on-board for stage usage
* the Alpha's floor spike is retractable, don't think the Tau's is
* the Alpha has two strip controllers
* the Alpha's case looks awesome (from your video) :-)

... and the Alpha itself looks much more beautiful to my eyes.

That being said, it seems that with the Tau they've struck a good balance between the features of the Alpha, ease of mass production and the cost. I think it's going to be a big success.

Fri, 15 Jan 2010 13:32:09 +0000 GMT

By the way ... in the videos what are the musicians wrapping the instrument cord around?

Please log in to join the discussions