Forum Archive

Forum

Software: touchy twitchy scroll keys?

Most Recent

written by: Tones2

steveelbows said:
Personally I remain completely disinterested in using them as browser scroll keys, and really want them to be playing keys.

Ditto. That's what many of us want. :)

Tony

written by: tefman3d

Wed, 23 Dec 2009 17:27:56 +0000 GMT

Anybody have trouble with REALLY sensitive scroll keys?

Maybe I just need some technique tips?

They just sort a jump around alot .........

not some thing I could use while playing w/out loads o practice....

Thoughts?

Also only one scroll key seems to work in the scale browser, the left one.
is this normal?

Best -tefman

written by: fzzzy

Wed, 23 Dec 2009 22:15:20 +0000 GMT

Sometimes they work well for me. However this is quite rare and usually I can't really get them to work for me at all, and I just end up using the mouse.

I really hope eigenlabs gives us the ability to use all 18 keys as notes soon -- it would be really helpful with some of the custom scales I am creating.

written by: dizzid11

Thu, 24 Dec 2009 23:31:14 +0000 GMT

I've had the same problem they just jump around wherever they feel like it!

written by: geert

Fri, 25 Dec 2009 13:14:55 +0000 GMT

Did you upgrade to the latest release? I find that 1.0.9 makes using the scroll keys less sensitive than before. It did take me a while to get used to, but as soon as you treat it gently and 'feel' the keys just as when you're playing the instruments, it works out fine.

Maybe there's a bug on your systems though, it's worth sending a bug report through EigenD so that Eigenlabs has log file information that they can look at to investigate further.

Take care,

Geert

written by: tefman3d

Sat, 26 Dec 2009 05:57:35 +0000 GMT

Yes, Geert

I'm in 1.09. I will send in a bug report tommorrow.

also only one scroll keys seems to work in the scale browser....
is this normal?

Thanks for the tip I'll try a softer touch.

best -tefman

Sat, 26 Dec 2009 10:01:43 +0000 GMT

Hi Tefman,

I think that the second scroll key is reserved for scrolling in the right pane in the browser window. Currently this isn't used for anything yet, but I suspect it will in the future.

Take care,

Geert

written by: barnone

Sun, 3 Jan 2010 23:37:21 +0000 GMT

scrolling is not usable for me. It scrolls blindingly fast. On a 8 core MAc PRO with 12gb RAM and snow leopard. Eigenharp Alpha. EigenD 1.0.10

Is the scroll speed based on machine speed or specifically tuned to the same speed on all machines? Personally, tapping to nudge up or down by one would be more useable.

Mon, 4 Jan 2010 06:55:48 +0000 GMT

While I have the feeling of the scroll keys more or less under control, I still think this is not an optimal solution and requires too much careful manipulation to be acceptable, certainly in a live situation. After more than a month on the Pico, my earlier suggestion still stands since it would also allow us to use all 18 playing keys.

This is how I would do the scrolling on the Pico:

* Press both octave keys to toggle 'scroll mode' on the strip controller
* Scroll up and down with the strip controller as a sort of 'jog wheel' that advanced or moves the focus, faster or slower
* Press both octave keys to select the item under focus and toggle out of scroll mode

This would also allow much more fine grained control since the movement area is longer.

One thing to note, which might not be obvious to many people, is that scrolling needs to be functional at all times since it operates on the last view that is visible in the browser, even if you switched out of the corresponding mode on the Eigenharp. I really like this approach since it allows you to indicate your focus of interest, go back to the instrument, and continue experimenting in the browser.

Some more observations about this suggestion:

* Currently only one pane of the browser is used, so we really only use one scroll key. When both panes might become active in the future, the pane selection can be done by pressing the corresponding octave key to switch the scroll focus once the scroll mode is active.

* The scroll mode should be clearly visible by changing both colors on the octave keys (for example turn them green)

* If I understood correctly, EigenD and the underlying engine isn't capable of this yet since actions can't be tied to key combinations. However, John hinted that they're working on adding gesture support, which would open up a whole other realm up possibilities.

Mon, 4 Jan 2010 06:57:55 +0000 GMT

Hi barnone,

I don't think that scrolling is tied to machine speed. I have a fully maxed out latest gen 17" MacBook Pro and the scroll keys behave the same as on my 3 year old MacBook Pro.

Take care,

Geert

written by: sam

Mon, 4 Jan 2010 15:52:39 +0000 GMT

Hi all,

Thank you for your posts regarding the scroll key functionality. To those who have had a problem, we are currently looking into this and hope to have a fix in the next software release.

Sam
Eigenlabs Software Department

written by: steveelbows

Mon, 4 Jan 2010 16:17:43 +0000 GMT

Personally I remain completely disinterested in using them as browser scroll keys, and really want them to be playing keys.

written by: Tones2

Mon, 4 Jan 2010 18:17:00 +0000 GMT

steveelbows said:

Ditto. That's what many of us want. :)

Tony

Please log in to join the discussions