Forum Archive

Forum

Software: 1.08 viola

Most Recent

written by: geert

Another thing I forgot to mention. The latency of the internal sound card is quite high. If you have access to an external firewire sound card of decent quality with good drivers, you'll be able to do get much better mileage out of your current computer also.

written by: bluedonkey

Sat, 19 Dec 2009 16:59:58 +0000 GMT

Hi,

Just installed 1.08. Noticed that in general things are much more processor intensive. The Viola now maxes out EigenD so that audio drops out constantly to the point that the Viola is unusable.

I have a mac book pro with 3 gb of ram.

Kevin

Sat, 19 Dec 2009 19:33:12 +0000 GMT

Hi Kevin,

The testing I've done with the final 1.8 release also indicates in increase in CPU power for me. I haven't had the time to really spend a lot of time with it, but recordings I made in previous versions that stayed in the green now sometimes spike to the red. So it seems you're not alone with this.

Take care,

Geert

Sun, 20 Dec 2009 09:28:09 +0000 GMT

Hi,
I downgraded 1.08 back to 1.06 as as getting the cpu use i was expecting. 1.08 made it impossible use the modeled instruments.

All the best

Kevin

written by: catoro

Sun, 20 Dec 2009 23:07:50 +0000 GMT

same here guys... I´ve been doing extensive testing since last friday and what was possible for me to play before, now simply doesn´t sound right. I get a lot of glitches and most of the time the meter is in yellow and red.

First I was almost sure that I had this issue because it was because I was using old setups so I started from scratch and made some of my setups again using only 1.08 and I got the same results, glitches and so on...

I am really frustrated because the eigenharp is the most expressive digital instrument I´ve ever played but the software is not remotely matching its level, this flaw is a big one...

Carlos

Mon, 21 Dec 2009 07:59:05 +0000 GMT

There is a nother issue I´ve found, when you chance the octave pressing the octave up button (the left one) the eigenharp goes all way up the the lowest octave, it only happens the first time you change it.

Carlos

Mon, 21 Dec 2009 11:08:30 +0000 GMT

Did you all send a bug report through the built-in EigenD Bug Reporter function? Using this will give Eigenlabs detailed information that allows them to track down precisely what the problems are. It makes it much easier for them to detect the problem and create a fix.

Mon, 21 Dec 2009 17:49:46 +0000 GMT

Eigenlabs released 1.9.0 which should fix the excessive CPU usage. I've downloaded it, but can't try it out atm.

written by: sam

Mon, 21 Dec 2009 18:55:03 +0000 GMT

Hi all,

Software Release 1.0.9 is available for download here: EigenD Update 1.0.9

This should resolve all the excessive CPU problems you have been experiencing - apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Sam
Eigenlabs Software Department

Mon, 21 Dec 2009 21:31:09 +0000 GMT

Version 1.0.9 indeed solves the excessive CPU problems, thanks!

Mon, 21 Dec 2009 23:00:34 +0000 GMT

It also seems to be way more stable. Fantastic!

written by: KaylaK

Tue, 22 Dec 2009 00:25:29 +0000 GMT

Cello playing much better thank you!

I'm still getting the "Failed to send email to Eigenlabs" error when I try to send a bug report so apologies for posting here instead. The CPU fix is definitely better, but I'm still getting it maxing out when I have 5 looped items (4 bar loop using the Eigenharp's Cello, Clarinet, Piano, Alchemy 1 & Alchemy 2) - is there any way I can increase my CPU capability to run this loop successfully?

Many thanks,

Kayla

Tue, 22 Dec 2009 07:19:13 +0000 GMT

Hey Kayla,

There isn't much you can do. EigenD is set to a fixed memory buffer in which the sound can be 'delayed' while the virtual instruments are being processed. This introduces latency and allows your CPU to compute for a while. The shorter this buffer, the shorter the latency, the better playability, but the quicker your CPU has to be done with all its computing. The trade-off is generally to increase the latency to find the best compromise between playability and CPU load. Sadly though, EigenD doesn't allow this atm but they're going to possibly include it in a future release.

Now, let's be realistic however. The Cello and Clarinet and quite CPU hungry since they're modeled instruments, Alchemy is also since it's quite a complex synthesizers. Outside of Eigenlabs world many people are even happy with one or two virtual instruments that they can play in real time with little latency. You're playing five!

One of the 'tricks' is of course to get a faster computer. Personally I've had many success with digital music using CoolBook, which I described here: http://eigenzone.org/2009/12/07/performance-tip-check-out-coolbook/

Before using CoolBook on my previous Macbook Pro, it was almost impossible to use it as a digital FX processor for my guitar together with one (!) virtual instrument through MIDI. When I started using CoolBook, this was solved. It's not free though, but it's quite cheap, and you can't do anything bad to your machine.

Hope this helps,

Geert

Tue, 22 Dec 2009 11:50:07 +0000 GMT

1.09 works like a charm!!!! way to go EigenLabs!!!

Kayla, your problem is probably solved if you get more RAM, sadly doubling the RAM does not doubles your computer efficiency as many factors are to be taken care of, e.g open programs, other USB devices connected, only one core, etc.

Software solutions like the one that Geert is talking about are helpful only if you know what to do (they are easy to tweek and no risk is involved though).

I agree with Geert also in the fact that you are running really hungry softsynths and this has to affect your system.
There is no universal solution...increasing the systems capability is a matter of trying different combined techniques...

To me the best suggestion is , keep your computer cool, get a decent RAM and do not expect miracles...

Best.

Carlos

Tue, 22 Dec 2009 11:57:12 +0000 GMT

Another thing I forgot to mention. The latency of the internal sound card is quite high. If you have access to an external firewire sound card of decent quality with good drivers, you'll be able to do get much better mileage out of your current computer also.

Please log in to join the discussions