Forum Archive

Forum

Software: Backwards compatibility concerns

Most Recent

written by: geert

Hi,

I actually have plans to add community functionalities to http://eigenzone.org also, but if this is on the main Eigenlabs site, it's even better. I do hope to have more people contribute content to EigenZone in the near future. All the infrastructure for it is set up, I just need to create a tutorial video that explains how to get started with these contributions as I want to strike the right balance between trust-based access and prevent spam.

Will keep you all posted also.

Take care,

Geert

Mon, 7 Dec 2009 08:33:38 +0000 GMT

Hey,

I noticed that bug fixes to EigenD come in two flavors:
* updates to the core library and code
* updates to the factory setup

The first flavor is one that we all expect with application updates and automatically applies to existing user documents (setups).

The second one is starting to worry me though since it doesn't update any of the already existing user setups that a musician made with a previous version. This means that to fully upgrade to a new version of EigenD, you have to re-create all your user setups with the new factory setup. I've had to do this twice already. With the four user setups I've got now it's already getting on my nerves, I can't imagine what it will be like several months down the road.

I think you should add a migration feature that takes all the instruments, drum loops, scales, audio unit effects (inline and send), volumes, pans and recordings (anything user configurable), and automatically configures them for another setup (like a new factory setup). For anything that doesn't map directly (like for instance, when less or more instruments of a particular type is present) you should present several options:
* use the new setup's configuration and select which instruments you want to actually migrate
* change the type of instruments that will then be reconfigured in the new setup (ie. change a sampler instrument into an audio unit instrument or vice versa)

Without this, I don't think that any musician will feel comfortable to spend time configuring a setup in detail, only to have to do this again at the next EigenD release.

Thanks,

Geert

written by: benvdz

Mon, 7 Dec 2009 11:22:44 +0000 GMT

When you open 1.06 for the first time it's ask if you want to transfer the user presets from 1.04

Mon, 7 Dec 2009 11:23:43 +0000 GMT

Yes, but afaik that doesn't migrate it into the new setup configuration, just allows you to use the presets from a previous version.

written by: steveelbows

Mon, 7 Dec 2009 12:29:09 +0000 GMT

I was wondering that myself, to be safe Ive always used the new factory preset when upgrading but would like some clarity and a plan for the future.

Mon, 7 Dec 2009 12:33:08 +0000 GMT

I actually have tried to use setups from 1.0.1 in the latest version, and they simply wouldn't open. So there is definitely something that needs to be looked into here.

written by: john

Mon, 7 Dec 2009 15:17:55 +0000 GMT

Hi

EigenD does actually upgrade setups between software versions, it's just managed badly at the moment. When you load a setup from a previous version, this happens on the fly and you will be able to save this as a new setup in a User preset. This is clumsy and we've decided to make some changes in the next release. In the future, user setups will be copied from release to release to save one having to load then save them. Old release setups will still be available in the load menu, under a section called 'previous'. This might seem a little weird, but some bug fixes turn out to require changes that have sonic implications - for example the upcoming stable release fixes the problem with stuck notes on the Piano, but upgrading previous setups to fix this without changing behaviour is not possible (the fix requires a change in the way that the sustain/damper is connected), so the old setups (which will sound the same but still have this bug happen from time to time) will still be available under the 'previous' heading.

Geert, that issue of 1.0.1 setups no longer loading is a bug, it should definitely not happen. Could you try to load one then use the bug reporter? It would really help us track it down.

John

Mon, 7 Dec 2009 15:21:52 +0000 GMT

I'll have a look John, I actually blew away all my older folders ... will have to dig into backups.

written by: steveelbows

Mon, 7 Dec 2009 16:29:51 +0000 GMT

Thanks for the explanation. Will it be possible to have an alert that comes up if you are updating to a version that has fixes which mean setups cannot be upgraded, so users will know when it is better to recreate setups than use old ones that retain bugs?

Mon, 7 Dec 2009 18:15:59 +0000 GMT

We\'ll let you know about that sort of behaviour in the release notes and comments on the downloads page. The idea being this change is that you will always (provided you've kept the old software directories) be able to load the un-upgraded setups into the newer software when it has just been a setup change that affects some behavioural or sonic aspect of the system (like the upcoming damper/sustain improvement).

John

Mon, 7 Dec 2009 19:56:42 +0000 GMT

Hi John,

I just tried with 1.0.1 and it's not crashing anymore and I can't seem to be able to reproduce it, sorry.

Take care,

Geert

written by: chad

Mon, 7 Dec 2009 22:25:53 +0000 GMT

It might be interesting to allow the Pico Community to upload their favourite user set-ups to the private area of the Eigenlabs website. This could allow the community to iteratively improve on the best set-ups and share them with others from their profiles. This could also be a way for the Eigenlabs team to release some experimental set-ups that swap keys around or other obscure arrangements that could not be programmed from the digital instrument. There would be a developer benefit from this since you would see how we are configuring our Eigenharps.

Eigensets
Set-ups could have a name and a brief description. Perhaps they could also have an appreciation score set by peers. Obviously, the set-ups that could be downloaded through EigenD.

I am reluctant to say it, but we might even see new instruments on a pay to download model to subsidize the cost of creating them. I would pay a few pounds for a good tenor saxophone, an oboe, or even some bag pipes.

Tue, 8 Dec 2009 09:12:51 +0000 GMT

We have plans to add a very similar function to the site shortly, we'll keep you posted. We are also planning on introducing an instrument marketplace next year, for instrument vendors to sell Eigenharp specific soundfonts and AU's.

Bagpipes on the Eigenharp? What would my grandfather have thought (he was Scottish)!

John

Tue, 8 Dec 2009 09:21:49 +0000 GMT

Hi,

I actually have plans to add community functionalities to http://eigenzone.org also, but if this is on the main Eigenlabs site, it's even better. I do hope to have more people contribute content to EigenZone in the near future. All the infrastructure for it is set up, I just need to create a tutorial video that explains how to get started with these contributions as I want to strike the right balance between trust-based access and prevent spam.

Will keep you all posted also.

Take care,

Geert

Please log in to join the discussions