Forum Archive

Forum

General Discussion: The Competition!

Most Recent

written by: geert

As far as I understand it the one that shows the most skill on an Eigenharp will win. One of the major features of the Eigenharp is on-the-fly switching of scales, just as the expressiveness, the recorder, various instruments, ... Anyway that's how I'm seeing it and that is how I'm entering the contest. Since you can have up to 6 entries, I'm already entering some now to be amongst the first and hope to gain a head start in YouTube views possibly thanks to the early excitement. I can still enter more entries with other setups later on ... working on my second entry right now :-)

written by: gazgoldstar

Sun, 6 Dec 2009 11:41:35 +0000 GMT

Wow! An Alpha up for grabs for the best Pico player!

What a way to raise everyone's game. Great idea though, get tons of great performances on to You Tube thus promoting the Pico as the great instrument that it is and offer a genuinely excellent prize. Top judges too just to add to the pressure!

Gotta go chromatic I reckon. That is the only way to really play! Courtney Pine ain't gonna be impressed with people diddle doodling on set scales.

One question though, Is this competition based on factory setup 1? This is quite interesting to me as I think factory set 1 is still almost unusable in any serious capacity. Competition ends on feb 28 2010, isn't feb when work bench ships? I think it should be made implicitly clear if it is as it will have a huge effect on what is possible. I have a midi footboard that I am gagging to use with my Pico, I can't use it right now due to the serious limitations of factory setup 1.

So, John, will there be any other custom setups launched before 28th of feb? Really important to me this as I don't want to waste loads of time trying to master (the flawed) factory setup 1.

I made a request to swap mode and metronome buttons with octave switches some time back, this I reckon would be really useful to performance so please, please, please accommodate this simple request!

Well, all that remains for me is to wish everyone the best of luck and may the best Picoist win!

written by: steveelbows

Sun, 6 Dec 2009 12:51:06 +0000 GMT

Well as I understand it the EigenD version that supports scripting will be out long before February, so if its not too unstable then that may be an option for playing with a more customized/flexible pico. Im not sure we should be trying to second guess what the judges may be looking for, beyond what the competition small print already says, eg Im not sure fixed scales are a problem if used well. I suppose I could start getting confused about exactly what constitutes using the pcio only, especially as such a wide range of things could be loaded in as loops or midi used to control other software.

written by: geert

Sun, 6 Dec 2009 17:40:04 +0000 GMT

As far as I understand it the one that shows the most skill on an Eigenharp will win. One of the major features of the Eigenharp is on-the-fly switching of scales, just as the expressiveness, the recorder, various instruments, ... Anyway that's how I'm seeing it and that is how I'm entering the contest. Since you can have up to 6 entries, I'm already entering some now to be amongst the first and hope to gain a head start in YouTube views possibly thanks to the early excitement. I can still enter more entries with other setups later on ... working on my second entry right now :-)

Please log in to join the discussions