Forum Archive

Forum

Software: Feature Request: Instrument-specific scales

Most Recent

written by: geert

Hi John, sounds very interesting. I'd be interested in having the 3rd sampler instrument being replaced with another audio unit instrument for which you can select a custom scale from the scale browser. This would then allow me to get familiar with such a setup and define my own scale for it.

Mon, 30 Nov 2009 15:13:05 +0000 GMT

Hi again,

I was thinking about starting to define my own scales to be able to get better control of certain software instruments like Strum Acoustic GS-1 or Trilian, where not all playing keys are notes but where some of the extreme pitches are used to create variations, strum patterns, etc. In this case, one octave would actually be similar to the current major or minor scales, with the next octave being different to comfortably map to higher or lower notes. Ideally I would want such a scale be tied to the instrument that I'm playing and not have to select the appropriate scale each time I switch to another instrument.

Please consider adding something like this to a future release.

Thanks,

Geert

written by: aaronw

Mon, 30 Nov 2009 16:00:55 +0000 GMT

Hi Geert,

You will be able to do this when you get your hands on the Workbench!

Regards

Aaron
Customer Service

Mon, 30 Nov 2009 16:02:08 +0000 GMT

I was kind of expecting that answer ... I let my hand crawl across the channel then to swipe the workbench from your London office ;-)

written by: john

Mon, 30 Nov 2009 17:07:55 +0000 GMT

Aaron is right, this is an easy thing to do in Belcanto. You can set the scale in an instruments Scaler (the agent that applies the frequencies to a group of keys) instead of letting it percolate downstream from the group of keys themselves, in which case it overrides the scale set in the Keygroup (the agent that orders the keys and makes courses). However an easier way would be to define Talker keys to play single notes, then you can put them wherever you want without messing about with weird scales. It also means that if you switch to a different key ordering (very common on an Alpha for example) then it doesn't go all weird on you.

If you'd like a quick setup that does something like this, we can give it a go as soon as Sam gets a moment - let us know...

John

Mon, 30 Nov 2009 17:13:12 +0000 GMT

Hi John, sounds very interesting. I'd be interested in having the 3rd sampler instrument being replaced with another audio unit instrument for which you can select a custom scale from the scale browser. This would then allow me to get familiar with such a setup and define my own scale for it.

Please log in to join the discussions