Forum Archive

Forum

Software: How name your setups in EigenD

Most Recent

written by: catoro

Thanks John for your comment... sorry if I messed up posting this and you guys were actually going to change it. As I stated in my post this was something I´ve found while searching for a feature that I was missing.

As a power user is on my nature to explore every aspect of the software. I guess the suggestion of naming the setups is something quite welcomed for example in a live situation.
For example I do have a complex setup involving two synthesizers two laptops a kaoss pad and a PodX3 live everything synchronized with a master midi clock and a midi patchbay.

My idea for the future will be to use the sounds available from the soft synths and the actual hardware controlling everything with my eigenharp and that's why naming setups is so important for me.

best.

Carlos

Fri, 27 Nov 2009 23:51:04 +0000 GMT

it is not easy to remember what is contained in your saved setup in the EigenD browser.

I´ve found a way to name the setups that works for me (try it if you are keen but do it under your own responsibility).

1- Just save the setup in an empty slot (say User 1), then go to your user/library/eigenlabs/1.0.4/setups (I´m currently using version 1.0.4, but there will be a setups folder for each version)

you will find a lot of tmpsetup files and your saved user setups that are called
user 1 , user 2, etc

2. rename the file you´ve just created in the first step e.g user 1 renamed to midi_control, such file will appear under the load drop down with new new recognizable name.

if you want to indent the menu, use spaces, for example if your file is called
"test file 1" in the drop down it will appear as test->file->1
A cool thing is that you don't need to relaunch the EigenD software as the new name will appear immediately.

Take into account not to rename the setup that is opened at the moment (the one you are using).

As I pointed before this is a completely unsupported feature but I was getting crazy remembering the various setups I have, I guess the "save as" feature will be available soon, but in the meantime this trick to enjoy better mnemonics could be useful.

Sat, 28 Nov 2009 01:14:57 +0000 GMT

mistyped the tittle... sorry.. it should say "How to name your setups in eigenD" ;)

written by: john

Sun, 29 Nov 2009 15:06:50 +0000 GMT

Hi Carlos

Thanks for posting that. Unfortunately it's not actually a feature and this behaviour may well go away in a future release. You have a great point though that its hard to remember what you've saved in where. There's actually a really important reason for why this is (I've just posted a comment over in this thread Software Discussion that explains why it's the way it is. We'll try to add an option to put a text name on a setup in a future release, and add some more User Setup slots.

John

Sun, 29 Nov 2009 16:09:26 +0000 GMT

Thanks John for your comment... sorry if I messed up posting this and you guys were actually going to change it. As I stated in my post this was something I´ve found while searching for a feature that I was missing.

As a power user is on my nature to explore every aspect of the software. I guess the suggestion of naming the setups is something quite welcomed for example in a live situation.
For example I do have a complex setup involving two synthesizers two laptops a kaoss pad and a PodX3 live everything synchronized with a master midi clock and a midi patchbay.

My idea for the future will be to use the sounds available from the soft synths and the actual hardware controlling everything with my eigenharp and that's why naming setups is so important for me.

best.

Carlos

Please log in to join the discussions