Forum Archive

Forum

Software: Choosing Audio Output Device

Most Recent

written by: sam

Hi Andy,

You could try selecting the Apple built in output as the system output in Audio MIDI setup, then selecting your audio interface for EigenD audio output in EigenD (Steve gave instructions on how to do this above). This should separate your system sounds from your EigenD audio output.

In response to buffer size/latency queries, John has answered other queries here - Latency/buffer size thread

I hope this helps - I will write an FAQ on Audio Configuration shortly, and post a link on this thread when I've uploaded it.

Sam
Eigenlabs Software Department

written by: AndrewCapon

Sat, 21 Nov 2009 19:03:49 +0000 GMT

Hi Guys,

I have searched for a manual, watched the tutorials and searched the forum and cannot seem to find the answer to this.

The software just seems to use the standard OS X audio output settings, how do you select a Core Audio device, set buffer sizes etc?

Thanks for any help

Andy

written by: steveelbows

Sat, 21 Nov 2009 19:59:55 +0000 GMT

I cant tell you how to set buffer sizes as Im not sure users can do this at the moment, but here is how you would pick a different audio device:

Use the menu in the software to make sure the browser is showing.
Press Main Mode + Right button 4
Press Right 1 + Left 8
Press Left 2
You will now see a list of audio devices in the browser.
Use scroll key or mouse to select the audio device of chocie

Sat, 21 Nov 2009 20:33:23 +0000 GMT

Thanks Steve.

I don't know how the hell you worked that one out!

Unfortunately it still only allows you to select OS X audio output devices rather than choose a Core Audio device and the channels it should use.

It looks like the software works this way which is insane as far as I can see as it is using the basic sound output for the mac and system sounds, itunes etc use this output. Not much use if you get an email while you are recording and the notification sound gets recorded as well!

I would expect a piece of audio software to work at a different level than this!

Thanks for the help anyway, maybe this is something they will change in the future.

All the best

Andy

Sat, 21 Nov 2009 21:58:59 +0000 GMT

See this thread for the logic of how I worked out what keys to press based only on the Quick Reference guide:

http://www.eigenlabs.com/forum/threads/id/108/

I understand your point about channels, but I dont actually know what the difference is in practice between a Core Audio device and OS X Audio output devices. For example if I create an Aggregate device using OS X audio midi setup, then I can use that in the EigenD software. If I install Soundflower then I can route EigenD audio to that and record it in another program without fear that system sounds will intrude. Likewise if I had an additonal soundcard I could send EigenD audio to it without it being the default OS X output device.

Sat, 21 Nov 2009 22:01:12 +0000 GMT

OK do you mean that the software should create its own virtual audio device using Core Audio, so that this device could be selected in your recording software? If so then something like soundflower is a suitable alternative for now.

Sun, 22 Nov 2009 08:16:37 +0000 GMT

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the link to that thread.

Really I want to select an audio output that is not used by the operating system as its default sound output, like I can in Pro Tools, Logic etc.

Your idea about creating its own virtual device for both audio and midi is a good one though, they should take that one up.

written by: sam

Tue, 24 Nov 2009 18:14:21 +0000 GMT

Hi Andy,

You could try selecting the Apple built in output as the system output in Audio MIDI setup, then selecting your audio interface for EigenD audio output in EigenD (Steve gave instructions on how to do this above). This should separate your system sounds from your EigenD audio output.

In response to buffer size/latency queries, John has answered other queries here - Latency/buffer size thread

I hope this helps - I will write an FAQ on Audio Configuration shortly, and post a link on this thread when I've uploaded it.

Sam
Eigenlabs Software Department

Please log in to join the discussions