Forum Archive

Forum

Software: Metronome tap not functional when it's turned off

Most Recent

written by: john

Hi Geert

I quite like the idea of having the tap keys active when the metronome is off, although that only really works for tempo, not the actual beat position, as starting the metronome starts at beat 1 and really ought to stay that way, logically and practically.

Key combinations certainly isn't inconceivable, although I think it might prove quite difficult in practice, both to explain and do. I'll have a brainstorm with the team, and see if we can come up with a solution to this, as I do believe it is an important and desirable thing to do.

John

written by: geert

Fri, 20 Nov 2009 16:56:56 +0000 GMT

Hi,

I think I stumbled into an oversight. To be able to play with other people I typically would like to tap the tempo before turning the metronome on, certainly during a live performance. It can be quite disturbing to turn the metronome on when drum loops are active and then have to tap to get it to the right tempo.

I understand that I could turn off all the loops first, then turn the metronome on, then turn it off again, start all the loops that I want to play together and then turn it on again. However this is quite cumbersome if you don't want to build up loops live but have a collection of them start at the same time at the right tempo.

Thanks,

Geert

Fri, 20 Nov 2009 19:05:46 +0000 GMT

Hi Geert

This is more an issue that players of the Alpha (which have been the only Eigenharp players in the world pretty much right up to last week) tend to do this (and yes, one does do it quite a bit) by having the drummer voices up on a different keygroup, so they are available at the same time as other instruments and the tap tempo keys. This makes turning the voices on a lot easier, so much so that this issue has never come up. Quite a different issue on the Pico though, as you quite correctly point out. I'll have a chat with the dev team on Monday - I think there's probably a solution that we can do in the factory setup that doesn't require any programming, just some Belcanto that makes a talker key that toggles all the drummer voices on and off in one go. The only issue will be finding a spare key to attach it to. Do you have a suggestion for a key you'd like to repurpose?

John

written by: geert

Sat, 21 Nov 2009 08:20:55 +0000 GMT

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply.

There isn't really a key available anymore on the Pico during Drummer & Metronome Control, is there? Can you do key combinations? I can for instance see me pressing both scroll keys to turn on and off drummer voices (it should remember which ones were active at turn off so that exactly the same ones are turned on again).

Personally though I think it would be much more intuitive to simply have the Metronome beat and bar tap keys being active even though the metronome and drummer aren't playing any sounds. Using yet another key feels like a workaround to me, while all functions have already been laid out to do this in an intuitive fashion with the current setup imho.

Take care,

Geert

Sat, 21 Nov 2009 16:51:22 +0000 GMT

Hi Geert

I quite like the idea of having the tap keys active when the metronome is off, although that only really works for tempo, not the actual beat position, as starting the metronome starts at beat 1 and really ought to stay that way, logically and practically.

Key combinations certainly isn't inconceivable, although I think it might prove quite difficult in practice, both to explain and do. I'll have a brainstorm with the team, and see if we can come up with a solution to this, as I do believe it is an important and desirable thing to do.

John

Please log in to join the discussions