Forum Archive

Forum

Software: Recording / Scheduler

Most Recent

written by: Lowdene

Just a thought (literally - I am away form my Pico so I can't test it out), but I guess if I want to build up a library of loops to play at will in a song, I record them individually and after each loop recording I stop the metronome button before pressing it back on and then recording the next loop. These should all then be ready to start at will when I press their button in the Scheduler. If I want to have the loops start automatically in a kind of arrangement at a pre-determined elapsed time, I keep the metronome button on between recordings and the point at which I record is the point at which they play back in the 'arrangement'.

Is this right? if this is the case, all the functionality I am looking for is already there. If I'm not right, it could be a good way to organise these two ways of recording and playing loops. Frustratingly, I can't test it right now.

Regards

Nick

Wed, 18 Nov 2009 14:53:49 +0000 GMT

Is anyone else having problems with recording and scheduling loops? My experience is that use of the Scheduler is very unpredictable and erratic. I expected it to behave that pressing 'on' for a loop in the scheduler would start the loop at the next bar (and the opposite behavior for stopping it). I find that this often doesn't work at all, or the start is at some unexpected point several bars further on. Also, if I save the user profile, it seems to be a matter of chance whether the loops will play when I reload the profile. Also if I switch off the metronome button, it is again unpredictable whether the loops will work when I switch the metronome button back on.

written by: john

Wed, 18 Nov 2009 17:59:58 +0000 GMT

We're looking into this, could you use the bug reporter to file a biug? It sends us your logfile, which is a big help in tracking down the problem.

Thu, 19 Nov 2009 09:41:13 +0000 GMT

Hi John

I have reported this by email and sent the log files because, for me, the bug reporter does not work. I have tried it several times and each time it has a message along the lines of 'trying to connect to server' and then it fails.

Sat, 21 Nov 2009 16:20:15 +0000 GMT

We've had a look at this and it turns out the sceduler is behaving exactly as it was designed to. One aspect of that turns out to be used all the time by our musicians (that the loop starts on the right bar length increment, ie if you've a 4 bar loop, it waits for the next 4 bar boundary to play). The other aspect (and the the one that I suspect is causing all the trouble) is a bit bonkers on the Pico and we're going to change it to an make life easier. The scheduer actually does understand absolute song position, so when you record a loop, then stop and start the metronome (which at the moment returns the metronome to bar 1), it waits until the bar it was recorded on to start playing. This is nearly unusable (and incomprehensible, as you've discovered) in practice, so we're going to change it to behave more sensibly in a future release. We'll probably also add a 'play right now' verb so that you can kick a loop off whenever you want, ignoring the musical boundaries it was recorded on.

Our chaps use the musical boundaries to give themselves time, using the scheduler, to setup a load of loop playbacks for song transitions, like verse to chorus. If they're 4 bar loops, for example, they have 4 whole bars to key this in, which is rather more relaxed than 1 bar. Dave looked a bit horrified when we suggested making it a fixed one bar, so I think we have to find a different solution, and I think that making an instantaneous play verb is the way. We'll keep you posted as to progress with this.

John

Sat, 21 Nov 2009 18:01:53 +0000 GMT

Hi John

Thanks for the very clear explanation. Yes, I can see that there are two potential uses, one where you actually want to build a prepared song structure with transitions based on elapsed time from the start and the second where you want the ability to start and stop various loops to create an ad hoc structure, a bit like a LIve session. I was trying to use it in the second way. Both seem quite useful applications, but different in purpose. Can we have both (greedy!)?

Without knowing this was the way it worked, I just created a load of loops ready for playback without any thought as to when they were recorded from the start point and then it was very perplexing when they seemed to start at random points outside of my control!! Part of the problem was that this was all invisible.

I am really enjoying the journey with the Pico; I can't think of another instrument purchase that has brought more immediate pleasure (well maybe my Brook Lyn!).

written by: geert

Sat, 21 Nov 2009 18:40:03 +0000 GMT

For what it's worth, I actually like how the scheduler is working. It allows me to sit down and build up a song without ever touching the computer. I'd like to have the current mode of functioning to remain available. However, I can see the usefulness of the other mode, somehow it should be possible to switch amongst them.

Sat, 21 Nov 2009 21:58:48 +0000 GMT

I can't get upset by being outdone by a Brook guitar, I have a lovely Brook parlour guitar that has given me much pleasure over the years. They're actually made just 10 miles from the Eigenharps, just down the A30 in the direction of Cornwall, and I think they're the finest small guitars made today. Can't play the clarinet on them though...

John

Sun, 22 Nov 2009 09:26:59 +0000 GMT

Hi John

Yes I went down there to pick the woods and then about 9 months later to pick it up - the whole experience!

Now I know how it's meant to work I will experiment with it. I still the think the other functionality would be useful at some stage.

I'm not a pro musician. Actually, I'm a technology developer - I led the team that developed the technology to read indiviudals' complete genomes - so I do appreciate the challenge, complexity and immense satisfaction of bringing a project like this to fruition.

Wed, 25 Nov 2009 08:45:34 +0000 GMT

Just a thought (literally - I am away form my Pico so I can't test it out), but I guess if I want to build up a library of loops to play at will in a song, I record them individually and after each loop recording I stop the metronome button before pressing it back on and then recording the next loop. These should all then be ready to start at will when I press their button in the Scheduler. If I want to have the loops start automatically in a kind of arrangement at a pre-determined elapsed time, I keep the metronome button on between recordings and the point at which I record is the point at which they play back in the 'arrangement'.

Is this right? if this is the case, all the functionality I am looking for is already there. If I'm not right, it could be a good way to organise these two ways of recording and playing loops. Frustratingly, I can't test it right now.

Regards

Nick

Please log in to join the discussions