Forum Archive

Forum

Software: No parameter control of AU plugins?

Most Recent

written by: stephen

Ah-ha! So that's how it's done. Excellent.

Playing with Alchemy, it would seem particularly useful to be able to control the 2D Remix Pad from the Pico. Now, there's this seemingly unused scroll key on the strip controller side, which natively provides 2D (3D really) control. Is there any prospect of wiring the one to the other? Making the roll and yaw of that one particular key appear as their own, separate Parameters, which could be patched through to the Alchemy remix pad or x/y controllers? (Actually, doing this with the other scroll key, too, would be more useful in this context than what it does now, since I've never managed to make it 'scroll' accurately enough to select anything with it.)

written by: steveelbows

Mon, 16 Nov 2009 21:22:54 +0000 GMT

Hello,

Midi learn inside various AU plugins does not respond to any of the pico's interesting controllers.

Is this a bug, a problem with my setup or plugins, or just the feature does not exist? If not a bug, then its a huge oversight. Workaround for now is to use Pico midi instrument mode and host the plugin in another app, but its another thing that leaves a bad impression of your software.

I note that pico controls are hooked up to some of the parameters in the Alchemy plugin that is loaded on AU1, and it adds so much expression and joy to playing that Im shocked if you really havent implemented a pico to midi-cc to AU plugin feature. I know midi isnt perfect but its a lot better than waiting for instrument plugin developers to support whatever you have planned for the longterm, surely?

written by: john

Wed, 18 Nov 2009 18:03:52 +0000 GMT

There's a new FAQ just going up that shows you how to map all these in the AU GUI'S. It's completely configurable, source control to destination. It will live on the website tommorow.

Wed, 18 Nov 2009 18:09:34 +0000 GMT

Excellent, thanks very much, I eagerly await the detail.

written by: Lowdene

Thu, 19 Nov 2009 11:46:35 +0000 GMT

Look forward to the FAQ too, though oddly, when I too was experimenting to get this to work in Strobe, the MIDI learn did recognize wobble of the key as pitchbend, so I could modulate eg filter cut-off with the Pico keys (unfortunately altered pitch at the same time too!). Would be great to know how to use the other controls, especially breath, in other AUs. Works very effectively in Alchemy.

written by: sam

Thu, 19 Nov 2009 14:03:30 +0000 GMT

The Audio Unit Parameter Routing FAQ entry is now up:

Audio Unit Parameter Routing FAQ

I hope this will help, let us know if you have any problems.

Sam
Eigenlabs Software Department

written by: Lowdene

Thu, 19 Nov 2009 14:15:43 +0000 GMT

Sam, brilliant - just what I was looking for. Can't wait to try it!

Thu, 19 Nov 2009 16:46:03 +0000 GMT

Cheers for the FAQ, I just tried it and it works. Really need a way to switch off pitch-bend for keys now.

Also Im getting inconsistent results in terms of what value the control signals are left on when I stop wiggling a key. eg If I move a key to the left and then release, the knob in the AU does not return to the same position each time. Its not completely random, there seems to be some sort of pattern, Im not sure if its something to do with relative rather than absolute values, or what value the control is sending just before I release the key, having trouble getting my head round it fully.

Lots of fun all the same, ta very much :)

written by: geert

Thu, 19 Nov 2009 20:39:47 +0000 GMT

I'm getting inconsistent results also and in some software I just can't get any of the controllers to work (Omnisphere, Zebra, ...).

Here are some quick improvements that are sorely needed to the pop-out window:

* make the columns resizable in width
* make the popup window resizable in width
* allow the names in the first column to be sorted
* allow searching for names in the first column

Without these, many softsynths have such a bewildering amount of options that it's almost impossible to find them.

written by: stephen

Mon, 14 Dec 2009 19:01:49 +0000 GMT

Ah-ha! So that's how it's done. Excellent.

Playing with Alchemy, it would seem particularly useful to be able to control the 2D Remix Pad from the Pico. Now, there's this seemingly unused scroll key on the strip controller side, which natively provides 2D (3D really) control. Is there any prospect of wiring the one to the other? Making the roll and yaw of that one particular key appear as their own, separate Parameters, which could be patched through to the Alchemy remix pad or x/y controllers? (Actually, doing this with the other scroll key, too, would be more useful in this context than what it does now, since I've never managed to make it 'scroll' accurately enough to select anything with it.)

Please log in to join the discussions