Forum Archive

Forum

General Discussion: jack set up

Most Recent

written by: TomSwirly

[Bidule sounds very interesting, though I'm heavily invested in Max/MSP...]

Better documentation is always good but this is a consumer item - for musicians. People don't read documentation and they aren't very good at reading documentation and following instructions and a lot of the time your instructions aren't exactly what they're seeing.

Of course, this is a young product but the eventual goal has to be something you can give your older relative who has a computer but doesn't really understand it and they can plug right in and play along with their iTunes out of the box and do a little recording.

I think you should concentrate, in fact, on getting it to work out of the box with Garage Band - not that I have even ever turned that program on, but that's what people get for free in the system.

And ideally your installer should simply detect all the sound tools they have and install an interface to your noisemaker for all of them - just in the same way that when you install browser plugins like Real media it detects your browsers, asks you to quit them, and installs a copy for each browser.

written by: bluedonkey

Sat, 14 Nov 2009 17:50:54 +0000 GMT

Hi,

Can anyone offer any advice as to how to get jack to route sound into ableton from EigenD. Just slightly mystified as to how this works . It would be great to be able to record my pico noodlings

All the best

Kevin

written by: bluedonkey

Sun, 15 Nov 2009 15:26:52 +0000 GMT

Ok, I ended up giving up with Jack. It seemed to fiddly to set up. Instead I ended up using Soundflower from cycling 74.

soundflower

Easy to set up. This did the trick in that I can now record my Pico in Ableton .

I have to say , it is amazing . The BEST experience I've ever had with a digital instrument.
Thank you.

written by: steveelbows

Mon, 16 Nov 2009 18:55:02 +0000 GMT

Yes I got soundflower working a treat over the weekend too, but I had left my activation code at work so I couldnt get on the forums till now.

Pico = joy :)

written by: philip (Moderator)

Tue, 17 Nov 2009 09:36:05 +0000 GMT

Hi there

If ever you have a problem with activation codes do please get in touch and we can always sort that out for you straight away.

Great to see you got it all sorted in the end!

Philip
Eigenlabs Support team

written by: expertsleepers

Tue, 17 Nov 2009 16:14:07 +0000 GMT

Couldn't get Jack to work at all, and I'd consider myself a very technically capable user.

Soundflower does work (was using it to get EigenD into Ableton Live) but the downside is that it completely replaces my audio input device. I have other stuff I need to get into Live too. I suppose I could try an aggregate device to combine Soundflower and my MOTU driver but that's just layering another hack on top of an already unpleasant hack.

EigenD really needs a native AU version. The Eigenharp is going to remain a curiosity for me unless I can actually integrate it with the rest of the software I'd want to run on my Mac during a gig.

Tue, 17 Nov 2009 16:53:26 +0000 GMT

I wouldnt hold my breath for a native AU version, but Im only guessing. Better to consider other workarounds such as using a separate dedicated computer to drive the pico, or just use pico as a midi controller.

Wed, 18 Nov 2009 05:36:57 +0000 GMT

Better to consider other workarounds such as using a separate dedicated computer to drive the pico

Um, that's a pretty gnarly solution there. The idea of purchasing a whole new computer and lugging around TWO computers in order to perform is extremely unattractive to me, and probably a lot of other people who intend to use this instrument to use with some other program they've been using for years.

However, I have confidence in the Eigenlabs team to deliver a solution to this - IF we press them.

Wed, 18 Nov 2009 08:00:23 +0000 GMT

I hear you, its just that looking at the current state of the software does not give me cause to anticipate an AU version within a reasonable timeframe. I have read elsewhere on the net that they intend to opensource the software early in 2010 which will open up many possibilities, but even then it may take some time for anything wonderful to emerge.

This is why I am interested in workarounds that work today, of which there are several. Whether it be routing via virtual audio busses using soundflower, routing via sound card/mixer stuff, using 2 computers, or just using the Pico as a midi controller to control instruments that already play nice with the rest of your setup, there are solutions that will do for now. Despite the limitations of midi it works very well with the pico and my ears have had far more joy using the Pico with reaktor, massive & some other instruments than the native pico stuff in many ways. The present Pico midi implementation is not perfect, but I think it will be thousands of times easier for them to sort that than redevelop their software as a plugin.

written by: john

Wed, 18 Nov 2009 19:10:11 +0000 GMT

We looking at making a little AU to enable the injection of audio directly into Logic, Cubase, Ableton etc. It's not really possible to make EigenD a native AU for a variety of reasons, but we think we can get it to send audio to an AU in Logic just fine. There has been a lot of interest in this - we'll keep you posted as to progress. If it turns out to be possible, shouldn't be more than a couple of weeks away from a 'testing' release.

Wed, 18 Nov 2009 20:14:02 +0000 GMT

Wahey, Im always delighted when my negativity proved unfounded :) Having a simple AU that acts as an audio bridge sounds like a cunning plan indeed, I was actually thinking about something similar in the bath this morning before my day job tore me away from the land of the eigenharp for many painful hours.

written by: geert

Fri, 20 Nov 2009 07:28:40 +0000 GMT

Ok, there are various solutions here that will work.

First of all, Apple provides Audio Units to be able to send audio elsewhere. These are AUNetSend and AUNetReceive and can be used on the same machine. You can use the NetSend plugin as an FX plugin in EigenD and NetReceive in any other audio-unit compatible application.

Secondly, JackOSX does work. The key here is that you need a duplex audio interface. By default, since the Intel macs, Apple doesn't setup the system audio interface for duplex operation. So either you use a dedicated audio interface that allows this out of the box (Metric Halo, Motu, Presonus, Apogee, ...) or you set up an aggregate device in Audio MIDI Setup by using the Built-in Input and Built-in Output. Once that is done you can use the aggregate device with Jack. You can again use Jack is various ways, either you route all audio from EigenD to it by making it your default system audio device, either you use the Jack-insert audio unit as an FX send in EigenD. The nice thing about Jack is that you can afterwards use the Jack router to send the audio anywhere you want.

I don't think that EigenLabs should spend time developing even another solution, they just need better documentation about what's already there.

Hope this helps,

Geert

written by: john

Fri, 20 Nov 2009 15:59:01 +0000 GMT

Hi Geert

Thanks for that post. We've been playing with AuNetSend here and it seems to work fine. It does introduce a little more latency, we're going to test this in the next week or so. Unfortunately, AuNetSend is a Cocoa AU and we don't yet support those, although Joe is working on it. This means that although one can load it in EigenD, it is limited to mono as the GUI doesn't display properly to allow one to configure it into Stereo. The other slight issue is that AuNetReceive is an AU generator, and these require special host support. Several hosts we've tried don't yet seem to support these, though Logic, as one would expect, is fine. Like Cocoa, it seems to be a newish thing in the AU world, and will take a while to be fully supported by all vendors.

John

written by: geert

Fri, 20 Nov 2009 16:02:34 +0000 GMT

FYI, Plogue Bidule supports AUNetReceive just fine also. I actually strongly recommend Bidule to anyone that wants detailed control of digital audio and midi.

Sun, 22 Nov 2009 19:14:22 +0000 GMT

[Bidule sounds very interesting, though I'm heavily invested in Max/MSP...]

Better documentation is always good but this is a consumer item - for musicians. People don't read documentation and they aren't very good at reading documentation and following instructions and a lot of the time your instructions aren't exactly what they're seeing.

Of course, this is a young product but the eventual goal has to be something you can give your older relative who has a computer but doesn't really understand it and they can plug right in and play along with their iTunes out of the box and do a little recording.

I think you should concentrate, in fact, on getting it to work out of the box with Garage Band - not that I have even ever turned that program on, but that's what people get for free in the system.

And ideally your installer should simply detect all the sound tools they have and install an interface to your noisemaker for all of them - just in the same way that when you install browser plugins like Real media it detects your browsers, asks you to quit them, and installs a copy for each browser.

Please log in to join the discussions