Forum rss-feed

Forum

Software: How to send a Belcanto message from Unix command line?

Most Recent

written by: earthspot

Based on Geert's advice, here's my version of "execBelcanto", written in the J language:

Controlling the Eigenharp by calling Belcanto from J

This opens up a world of experimentation for me.

Sat, 14 Apr 2012 00:53:40 +0100 BST

Is there a straightforward way to emit a Belcanto statement from the Unix command line? (...Or a BASH script?) Eg via (Mac)Terminal?

Not that I'm primarily aiming to control my Pico from Terminal -- I'm just trying to cobble up an experimental interface to the J language (www.jsoftware.com) which I use for preference.

I could see my way to adapting http://eigentab.net/testrpc.htm --but that's got to be a long way round, via html/javascript.

written by: geert

Sun, 15 Apr 2012 09:12:34 +0100 BST

Hi Earthspot,

There are a series of command line tools indeed, you can find them in /usr/pi/release-[version]/bin/. You're probably looking for 'brpc' which executes an RPC call on an agent. For belcanto, you want to call the 'exec' RPC on the interpreter, for instance in 2.0 (replace the square brackets with angle brackets, sorry forum HTML escape bug). If you're using EigenD 1, then it'll be just interpreter and not interpreter1:

brpc '[interpreter1]' exec scaler 1 octave up

Hope this helps,

Geert

Sun, 15 Apr 2012 00:50:55 +0100 BST

Thanks Geert. That worked first time.

For anyone following this thread, what I actually typed for a test in (Mac)Terminal was:

/usr/pi/release-1.4.12-stable/bin/brpc '[interpreter]' exec metronome hey start

--(replacing [ ] with angle brackets like Geert says.)

Sun, 15 Apr 2012 02:03:46 +0100 BST

Based on Geert's advice, here's my version of "execBelcanto", written in the J language:

Controlling the Eigenharp by calling Belcanto from J

This opens up a world of experimentation for me.

Please log in to join the discussions