Forum

Developers: Fingerer - loading within setup

Most Recent

written by: Bjoern

I'll email!

Wed, 16 May 2012 16:16:52 +0100 BST

Hello,

Is it possible to load fingerings without reloading the setup? (I.e. can the user fingerings be modified at "runtime"?) This would be useful for experimentation with fingerings.

Related to this, is it possible to set fingerings in belcanto? (I noticed that setting of scales is now possible at runtime, which I think it wasn't before. It would be great to be able to do the same with the fingerers.)

2n question: Is it possible to connect / disconnect a fingerer (on a keygroup) using belcanto? The idea is that (on a pico, with limited space), you might want to be able to switch quickly between playing "keyboard" to playing "woodwind".

Thanks!

written by: 0beron

Wed, 16 May 2012 18:39:04 +0100 BST

Hi Bjoern,

If you add a new fingering to the user fingerings file, then you will need to restart eigenD for the new fingering to be picked up and usable. After you've done one restart, then the fingering file gets re-read each time you change fingering, so you can edit the user fingerings and after saving the file, you can swap to another fingering and back to your new one, which will pick up any changes you made without needing another restart.

I don't think defining them in belcanto is possible, it would be extremely long winded even if it were?

You could certainly make a setup that had say two keygroup outputs, that both ultimately drive the same instrument, but have one pass through the fingerer and the other not. Then you can swap between them. If you added this arrangement upstream of a keygroup that has many outputs for may instruments, then you can achieve this 'bypass' effect with just one fingerer in the system I think. John will surely correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Wed, 16 May 2012 18:51:58 +0100 BST

Hi 0beron,

many thanks for the answers, sounds good!

Regarding belcanto, if the specification was similar to the current fingerings files, then it wouldn't be that long-winded (certainly not for simpler fingerings).

Btw. I noticed you're based in Cambridge - same here. Maybe we should start a Cambridge EigenMeetUp? (Is there a London-based meetup?)

written by: 0beron

Wed, 16 May 2012 19:25:13 +0100 BST

Oh excellent :) The trouble with the eigenharp players I've found so far is that we are very spread out geographically, so if you're in Cambridge we should definitely meet up!

A few friends of mine have said they knew someone else with a Pico, maybe we'll find we have some friends already in common.

Wed, 16 May 2012 19:08:34 +0100 BST

I'll email!

Please log in to join the discussions